Saturday, January 1, 2011

Call me the candy frugalista!!!

My entire life I always wanted to be one of "those" women.  Women who baked, kept impeccable homes, and wore heels and aprons while they cooked for their loving and doting husbands and children.  I started with Peanut Brittle which turned out bleh the first day and each time thereafter (thanks to a $3.00 candy thermometer) fantastically.  Stay tuned for the next installment where I put my own spin on a Louisiana staple: Pecan Candy (Pralines).

I borrowed this recipe from All Recipes
Ingredients


1 cup white sugar

1/2 cup light corn syrup

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup water

1 cup peanuts

2 tablespoons butter, softened

1 teaspoon baking soda

Directions

1.Grease a large cookie sheet. Set aside.

2.In a heavy 2 quart saucepan, over medium heat, bring to a boil sugar, corn syrup, salt, and water. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in peanuts. Set candy thermometer in place, and continue cooking. Stir frequently until temperature reaches 300 degrees F (150 degrees C), or until a small amount of mixture dropped into very cold water separates into hard and brittle threads.

3.Remove from heat; immediately stir in butter and baking soda; pour at once onto cookie sheet. With 2 forks, lift and pull peanut mixture into rectangle about 14x12 inches; cool. Snap candy into pieces.

 
Mochafrugalista's Version
I use 2 cups of peanuts because I love peanuts :o).  I roast the peanuts in a low temp oven, 250 degrees, on the pan that was pregreased.  At about 200-220 degrees I put the peanuts in the boiling sugar.  I also let the candy reach slightly higher than the recommended 300 degrees, usually about 305-310 degrees.  Then I remove it from the heat and add the softened butter and baking soda.  After stirring it vigorously I put the candy mixture on the warm pan, spreading it around with the spoon.  I then pop it into the freezer until it is hardened and enjoy.  To break the candy apart, I place a napkin or towel on the candy and hit it with a hammer to break it open.

 

No comments: